By now, you must know that I love art. In every country or city, I travel to, I always find a museum or art gallery to visit. This time while in Vilnius, I decided to see Vilnius Picture Gallery. Before you scroll down to see some of the greatest Lithuanian art of the 19th and 20th Century, here are the reasons why you should take a chance on falling in love in museums as well:
- They are for everyone – sometimes you have to pay a small fee, but there is no discrimination in the museum.
- Museums give the best lesson – each artifact, the artwork tells a different story. You can learn so much from just walking around and looking at the most beautiful art, isn’t that genius?
- Museums can cover any topic – from science to history, from art to technology. You can easily choose whatever fits your needs.
- It’s a great entertaining space – museum shops, cafes, events – museums are different from what they used to be. You can meet a lot of interesting people while drinking something bubbly.
- Museums are so inspiring – and it doesn’t matter if you are an artist yourself or not, you can learn, relax in a quiet place, forget about the day-to-day troubles, and find a solution to your problems or find a way to be more creative.
The gallery is located in the ornate and spacious Chodkevičiai Palace, which features impressive late Classicism interiors. The gallery’s permanent exhibition provides a comprehensive introduction to the development of Lithuanian art from the 16th century to the beginning of the 20th century. The collection of work from the 18th and 19th centuries from the Vilnius Art School is of particular value. The gallery regularly hosts exhibitions, cultural evenings and classical music concerts.